Re: [MV] Regulations/ Registrations

From: islander (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Mar 20 2000 - 14:03:24 PST

> Just because a vehicle is manufactured as an off road vehicle doesn't
>mean you can't make it street legal (in my State). We use to do that with
>dirt bikes. Add lights, horn and the other required items, have it
>inspected and now it was a street bike.

I have to agree with this in so far as my experience with the State of
Maine are concerned. To make my 1944 M29C Weasel legal as a snowmobile
all I had to do was to rig up brake lights and display my registration
numbers on each side of the vehicle. So even though it certainly doesn't
match the mental image of a "snowmobile" (i.e. one track and two skids),
as far as the State of Maine is concerned it is. And that is all that
matters. Incidentally, this also allowed me to get insurance for it as a
snowmobile, although that was a bit more tricky due to its age (which is
a separate issue). I could also have registered it as an ATV if I wanted
to, but for my uses snowmobile was the way to go.

Conversely there is no way for me to legally drive my Weasel on a public
road in the State of Maine because it fails to meet the definition of any
vehicle classification sanctioned for such use. So from what I can tell,
if your vehicle fits the definition and its requirements nobody can stop
you unless the State rewrites the regs in such a way to exclude your type
of vehicle. I'm just glad there was no horsepower or engine size
stipulation in the snowmobile codes as I might have flunked them :-)

Steve