Gamma Goat Axle Questions

From: Robert Bryce (brycerw@csr.UVic.CA)
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 16:10:01 PST

Hello,

I'm considering putting a pair of Gama Goat axles under my new 4x4 project
(following the lead of another offroader in these parts), and I'm trying to
learn more about these axles to determine their viability for my project.
I'm hoping this list can provide me with some answers. Any help would be
appreciated.

1.) I'm told that the ring gears came in two sizes, 10.5" and 9.5", but are
    geared to the same ratio (5.57:1), is this correct? Are all diff's
    limited slip? Are the ring/pinion/carrier shared with any other
    vehicles or industrial equipment?

2.) I'm also told that there are both Magnesium and cast diff housings.
    And that the Magnesium housings would hold either size ring gear
    (different housings, same material). I don't know what size ring gear
    the cast housing holds, though. And that the middle housing was a
    "pass-through" design to drive the rear axle, making it useless for my
    purposes. I'm also told that all different axles used the same axles
    shafts (and I presume spindle/hub assemblies). Can anyone confirm this,
    explain why these combinations existed, etc.?

3.) Reading through the archives, it seems that there were mechanical prob's
    with these axles, can anyone expand on these reports?

4.) What's the "street price" for GG axle assemblies?

5.) I'm told that all axles are drum brake (that I'd want to convert to
    disk), what is the rim bolt pattern?

6.) What is the stock steering arrangement? (Hydraulic ram, tie rods, etc.?)

7.) Can anyone comment on the expected availability of spare parts over the
    next, say, decade? (In case I break an axle shaft, etc.)

Any info/help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

--Rob