Re: [MV] 1952 T-245 Ambulance info

From: RKiser8375@aol.com
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 18:36:58 PST

Sounds like you are the proud owner of an M43 ambulance. Also known as a
"cracker box" ambulance. (I think pretty much all of the military ambulances
(WC 9, WC 18, WC 27, M43, M725, etc.) were referred to as "cracker boxes" due
to their shape.) Standard Catalog of Military Vehicles does not list
production numbers, but they seem to be available. I have seen several here
in Colorado. They tend to sell for around the same price as the M37/M37B1,
which had a production run of over 90,000 vehicles from 1950-1968. I would
say do whatever you want with the engine/drivetrain. It's cool to have it
all original, but might be more practical with a V8. You make the call.

Whatever you do, enjoy.

Rob Kiser
'52 M37
'65 M101-A1
'42 M29-C
'45 M29-C

<<
 I have obtained, that is 'horse traded for', the following vehicle. Can
 anyone give me specifics on the number produced, rarity or what not, about
 this model ambulance? It would be a project vehicle, as it's missing the
 engine and transmission, has some rust, etc., had a small block chevy with
 AT in it at one time. I have a Dodge 318 with trans that could go in it.
 I've not done one of these yet, but I already have a 1977 M886, and I use it
 for a secure work truck, since it was missing the interior goodies. If it
 is unusually rare, I'd rather not ruin it any further. I'd rather pass it
 on to someone who would do it right.

 What's the consensus think? Play with it, or carry it to the South
 Pittsburg meet and give someone else a shot?

 Data plate is as follows:

 Truck, Ambulance 3/4 Ton 4x4
 Ord Stk No. 6795531
 Mfg SN: 80022323 Date Del 2-25-52
                              Model T-245
 Contract No. 8615

 It has the M37 style front end on it, with the top arching up from the top
 of the windshield. The transfer case and the rest of the driveline appear
 to be intact, although I've no idea what condition they're in. It does
 roll, so they're not locked up. It has the drivers side door spare tire
 carrier with it. I do know that this thing is heavy!

 Thanks
 John Doherty