Re: [MV] MB/GPW Ignition System

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 11:53:46 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: Brown, Herb <BRown@ida.org>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Date: 06 April 2000 13:52
Subject: [MV] MB/GPW Ignition System

>1) One of the figures in the manual (Figure 32 of TM 9-803) shows a
>grounding strap. I can't tell where either end of this strap attaches.

Pass, I am unfamiliar with jeep specialities, however, at a guess its likely a
grounding strap as part of a total package used with a radio fit to minimise
interference and has no bearing on the operation of the vehicle. At a guess.

>2) I Know that the primary cable leads from one of the side posts on the
>ignition coil to the side of the distributor. However, I am not sure which
>terminal (the + or -)? I assume it attaches to the positive terminal of the
>ignition coil, but we all know what happens when one assumes.

Depends on the polarity of the vehicle system. With negative ground and
therefore positive live, the - will be to the contact breaker (to the side of
the distributor) and the + to the ignition switch, simply reverse for positive
ground systems.

Richard
(Southampton - England)