Re: [MV] HELP!! (with engine rebuild)

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 09:12:23 PDT

David <davejodi@epix.net> wrote:
> I am rebuilding the engine for an M38A1, and have gotten as far as
> reinstalling the pistons on the crankshaft. I am now trying to find 8
> stamped sheet metal jam nuts to go on the connecting rods. I have tried
> 6 different automotive parts shops, 3 speed shops and every hardware
> store in the area.

Ok, I've never been inside an M38A1 engine (or even very deep into any
others), so I may be blowing hot wind here... but it just so happens
that yesterday I got an Aircraft Spruce catalog, and saw something
which looks similar to what you describe while thumbing through it. It
stuck in my mind because the description said "engine nut", and I was
wondering why one would put a sheet-metal nut in an engine. So, is
this what you're looking for?

    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/tmp/PalNut.gif

This entry is on page 89 of their catalog. They have a web page with
online ordering (but no pictures) at:

    http://www.aircraft-spruce.com

Usually, that is. I can't access it at this instant. It might be a
problem at my end.

McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com) also has some sheet-metal
nuts, but they look like more typical speed-nuts... not something I'd
want in my engine!

I hope this helps.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/