Re: [MV] Oil changes

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 10:56:00 PDT

DaveCole <davidcole@tk7.net> wrote:
> Regarding oils and old LOs. I think that everyone needs to remember
> that the 30W oil of long ago is pretty much non-existent now. Even
> the 30W non detergent stuff you can buy is of a much different
> quality than the oil of WWII.

One small point: I don't dispute that oils have changed a lot since
WW-II, and that this is of particular concern to those of us with MVs
of not-very-recent vintage (that would be most of us, I guess).
However, the specific deuce and HMMWV LOs I cited are dated 1983 and
1990, respectively. Is today's SAE 30 much different from the SAE 30
of 10 years ago?

Regarding the comments that 15W-40 is being used by the Army now: Have
new LOs been issued? My HMMWV LO comes straight from the Army's tech
manual web site, so I believe that it's the current LO for the HMMWV.
I would be interested in seeing any documents which authorize use of
15W-40 in place of OE/HDO 30 (which I assume is equivalent to any SAE
30 with a MIL-L-2104 rating... am I wrong about that?).

Folks, I'm not trying to have a "my oil's better than yours" war
here... I'm just trying to separate fact from fiction, and common use
from correct use. I discount "truckers use it", because I'm under the
impression that most truckers didn't design their engines. I also
don't believe that "the Army uses it" is necessarily the same as "it's
the right oil to use"... having gotten my hands on two recently-
surplussed MVs in the past six month, as the first civilian owner of
each one, I'm well aware that a lot of stuff isn't done by the book,
and a lot of the hacks and holes I've found in my vehicles certainly
weren't done very conscientiously!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/