Re: [MV] more oil talk...

From: AlvisStalwart6x6@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 07:54:03 PDT

Hi Eric et all

>I am not currently in a position to drive the vehicle for 30 min.
>as has been suggested to get ALL lubricants up to operating temp.s. I
>can let it idle at high rpm for a while or drive circles in my yard.

Then I recommend you don't drive it at all. It is far better to turn the
engine by hand to allow the valve springs to take turns relaxing. Stabilize
the fuel and keep the tank full, keep the battery charged and when you can
take it for a "real" drive, do so.

>I also don't want to drop the oil pan to check for sludge as I am from the
>school of thought that says "if it aint broke...don't fix it".

Inspections are very different from repairs but if you won't check, you won't
know, it's your choice! In that case, you should use a non-detergent oil.
Since you claim 1000 or less miles per year, I'd change the oil once a year
just before your vehicle takes it's longest nap (fall, winter?).

You can change over to detergent oil but you will need several quality
filters, a flushing agent (Diesel works well) several changes worth of oil
and a considerable amount of time. I won't get into the procedure since
there are differing opinions upon which is correct/best and I don't want to
start yet another debate.

Bruce