RE: [MV] Electric Hum-V

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 07:45:11 PDT

Don,

I looked more closely at the website. I didn't find a "spec", but then I
didn't open every page. The indications that I got were that this is a
"proof of concept" situation. Somebody at DARPA wanted to find out if a
hybrid electric powered military vehicle could be built, and what some of
the problems with the concept might be. It's a pretty common approach when a
fairly radical concept is being evaluated. The published test results are
fairly impressive. I realize that Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) would likely
be a problem for a test vehicle, such as the one discussed in the website,
but I imagine that much more intensive design work would have to be done if
the idea were actually to go into production. I'm assuming that Stewart and
Stevenson didn't build just one prototype, and then go into production with
the FMTV series, and I would expect that DARPA would lay down some pretty
tough specifications for the vehicles that would ultimately result from this
hybrid project.

Quite frankly, this is the first that I have heard of this project, but I
can't say that I'm surprised. I remember seeing articles about hybrid
electric vehicles back in the 70's. This is just a logical extension of the
thought process. I would imagine that the technology has improved
dramatically in the intervening 30 years. I don't know that this is the
direction that the military should be going, but I'll at least give it the
benefit of the doubt, for now, and wait to see what comes out of it.

Now up to $.04 worth.

John