[MV] Electric Hum-V

From: John Bennett (john.bennett@directwebcorp.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 12:01:02 PDT

Geez, guys. Read the site before you post. The "electric" HMMWV >does< use
an internal combustion engine -- as a generator which charges batteries and
runs electric motors. The energy that is lost in converting the engine
power to electricity is way less than what is lost in a mechanical
transmission/transfer case design.

Some highlights from the site:

"CTC's hybrid version of the HMMWV exceeds the conventional HMMWV in
gradeability, fuel efficiency, acceleration, and top speed, while adding new
capabilities such as stealth operation and the potential for a remote power
source to operate auxiliary equipment."

"During initial testing trials, the CTC HE-HMMWV has accelerated from 0 to
50 miles per hour in 10.5 seconds, and has achieved a top speed exceeding 72
miles per hour. The CTC HE-HMMWV's range, with a payload of 1,200 lbs., is
expected to exceed 300 miles in the hybrid mode, 24 miles in the electric
mode, and 28 miles in the stealth mode. Final testing at the Aberdeen
Proving Ground should confirm these values and demonstrate that the vehicle
will climb a 60 percent grade twice as fast as the conventional HMMWV."

Yeah, sounds like this new HMMWV is going to suck. Damn those liberals!