RE: [MV] Electric Hum-V

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 15:14:08 PDT

Doc,

At the risk of restarting a discussion that had seemed to dwindle off to
nothing, I had to inform you that I have been doing some research, based on
the information that you provided in the email below. Executive Order 12844
(not 12842) was, indeed, issued on 21 April 1993. It was entitled "Federal
Fleet Conversion Task Force". It was "Revoked in part" by Executive Order
12974 on 29 September 1995. Put into Limbo, apparently. It was then
superseded by Executive Order 13031, titled "Federal Alternative Fueled
Vehicle Leadership" on 13 December 1996. This Order was based on the
requirements of the Federal Energy Policy Act of 1992. I'm guessing that
this Act was voted on, and passed, by Congress. As is always the case with
the Law, there seems to be a loophole. Section 303 of the Act allows
exemptions for "police, emergency services, and the military". Essentially,
these organizations have to fill out a form stating that their particular
job requires that they buy vehicles that don't meet the conditions of the
Act. I imagine that one form pretty well covers the entire US Army. In other
words, no "5000 mile extension cords". This exemption is, quite helpfully,
spelled out in the Executive Order.

You were right to bring up the original Executive Order because you believed
that it had a direct bearing on the subject being discussed. Further
research into the archives (I got my information from the Federal Register,
online) would have revealed that it only had the appearance of having an
effect. In reality, the military is exempt.

I apologize for taking so long to respond to your last post, but I only have
so much free time and it takes a while to wade through the huge amount of
information available at the Federal Register.

Now up to $.06 worth.

John