Re: [MV] Electric Hum-V

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 15:21:10 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: John Bennett <john.bennett@directwebcorp.com>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Date: 18 April 2000 19:58
Subject: [MV] Electric Hum-V

>Geez, guys. Read the site before you post. The "electric" HMMWV >does< use
>an internal combustion engine -- as a generator which charges batteries and
>runs electric motors. The energy that is lost in converting the engine
>power to electricity is way less than what is lost in a mechanical
>transmission/transfer case design.

Very interesting, although there is another loss in getting the electrical
energy back to rotational motion.

So, why are all the commercial trucks since the 1930's Tilling-Stevens
petro-electric lorry been wholly mechanical I wonder and excusing the European
reserve I would have imagined such an advantage ("way less") would have been
seized upon instantly by such as Mr Kenworth, Mr White, Mr Peterbilt and Mr Mack
with such trumpet-blowing that we would hear it here.

No such fanfare yet.

Perchance there's an obscure snag somewhere with a hefty price ticket attached ?

Richard
(Southampton - England)