Re: [MV] Re-cap on home air compressors...

From: DP Dusenbury (dp@interpath.com)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 08:26:47 PDT

Some thoughts...

The 2-stage compressors work best, and are more efficient.

A 175PSI compressor holds a lot MORE air than a same sized at 125 PSI (most
of those at Homer Depot). Even regulated down to 90PSI, you'll see a big
difference with the sandblaster.

As far as the sandblaster, I have pressure unit, and I use it off of a 5hp
gas powered compressor...works much better than the 4.5hp electric.

Consider running 2 compressors tee'd together if you are doing a lot of
blasting. I do this with 2 of the 5hp gas-powered compressors, and end up
with no low pressure at all, I can blast all I want. The 2 compressors
running together can keep ahead of the pressure tank on the sandblaster,
and will cycle on and off, so they aren't overworked.

That said, as far as operating other tools, it depends on how patient you
are....my onboard air system on my Jeep has about a 5 gallon tank...it'll
run an impact wrench, even an air drill, but you have to let it cycle to
get the pressure up if you run it much. i.e. I can't zip six lugs off with
the impact wrench as fast as I can with a big compressor...work a little
slower, and the compressor can keep up.

--

Dusenbury Network Systems http://www.sanlee.com