Re: [MV] Re-cap on home air compressors...

From: INDUSTELE@aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 08:07:25 PDT

Bill, if you're going to try to run a sandblaster you need to get the biggest
air compressor you can afford. There is no such thing as TOO MUCH air when
it comes to sand blasters. I've had pretty good results with a TWO STAGE
6.5 hp 240 volt 60 gallon upright compressor. It will pump up to 175 psi and
the one I bought (forgot the brand name for now) will pump like 18 cfm (cubic
feet per minute) at 125 psi. This is pretty well at the bottom of the usable
range for sand blasting. You can blast away with a small 100 pound
pressurized pot for about 20 minutes before you have to stop and let the air
compressor catch up (as well as you catch up). I tried this with a 5 Hp 240
volt 30 gallon single stage setup (the kind with wheels you can roll around),
but just not enough cfm to make it worthwhile on the sandblasting. Of course,
once you've solved the cfm for the sandblasting, EVERTHING else you do with
the air compressor will take less air.

I haven't paid much attention to the prices on the Home Depot range of
compressors, but I have noticed some pretty attractive prices in the Harbor
Freight Catalog. I think they've got a website too, with some additional
items and prices. They also have a line of cheap sand blasters as well.

Good Luck, Tom Campbell - Birmingham, Alabama