RE: [MV] DRMO-FSN

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Wed Apr 26 2000 - 14:07:59 PDT

Bob,

Here's what has worked fairly well for me. I log on as a government entity;
it's legal and results in a larger list of items being available as the
basis for a search. Use either the FSC (Federal Supply Code; the first four
digits of the NSN) as the search criteria. The site has a link to a list of
FSC's. For example: 2320 covers wheeled vehicles.

Use a single word as the search criteria. For example: truck (I believe that
the HMMWV is a "truck, utility". Either of these methods will return a long
list of responses, assuming that the items are currently in the DRMO
inventory. Click on the NSN for any one of the items shown on the list. This
will get you a fairly detailed description of the item. Often, you will be
able to determine the common name for the item based on the description.
After you have read the description, use the "back" button to return to the
list. You will note that all of the items that share the same NSN have
changed to another color. This makes it easy to avoid clicking on the same
NSN again.

I use the information obtained from this type of search to create a list of
NSN's that interest me. Some items, such as clothing, are listed in
sequential order, by size. Unfortunately, this isn't the case with vehicles,
except on rare occasions.

The information that you generate from this type of search can be helpful if
you are checking the DRMO listings for a specific type of vehicle; an M35A2
for example. Unfortunately, I think that you would find this type of search
pretty much useless if you were looking for a transmission to fit a M1009.
The NSN information just doesn't go into this kind of detail. It would bring
up a list of transmissions in the system, but not what they fit.

Ideally, access to someone with a FEDLOG system is what you really want.
This is the complete listing of all military parts and equipment on a set of
CD ROM's. Every military unit has a set, and they get updated every month, I
believe. The problem is that they aren't available to the general public. If
you can develop a connection to the Supply Sergeant in your local Reserve or
Guard unit, you may be able to talk him/her into looking up some numbers for
you.

I'd be interested in seeing what other list members have to say. Especially
those who have several years experience with the DRMO system.

John