5 Ton question

From: DaveCole (davidcole@tk7.net)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 08:42:27 PDT

I've got a '62 M51 5 Ton dump and I've noticed that it appears that some liquid,
either oil or brake fluid has showed up running down the inside surface of a
couple of my tires. It is not doing this in great quantity, just enough to notice
it. Also my right front wheel has become lightly coated with what appears to be
oil also. I'm using this dump truck more and more. I did top up the brake master
cylinder this spring and it has dropped probably 1/2" in the last 300 miles.
Consequently I'm not too concerned about losing a lot of brake fluid. I'm also
not too concerned about losing axle lube, if that is what is leaking out slowly, I
can certainly keep up with the levels by proper maintenance. After all the truck
is almost 40 years old. I'm more concerned about whether or not this lube or
brake fluid or both will make it's way to the brake linings and interfere with
braking. I had 25K lbs of gravel on the truck the other day and the brakes worked
fine. What should I expect? What would you guys recommend? Anything?

Thanks,

Dave