Re: [MV] Fastest "mil-veh" valve cover racer???

From: Renaud OLGIATI (rolgiati@conexion.com.py)
Date: Sat May 06 2000 - 04:34:07 PDT

At 01:33 06/05/00 EDT, LEEnCALIF@aol.com wrote:
> My theory is......
>
>Weight of vehicle is relevant to initial accelerating and therein is the
key.
> Lighter, accelerates faster at the very beginning, but both reach identical
>max. speed (based on a coefficient of friction and gravity). Heavier object
>will generally finish behind lighter because of slower start, otherwise not
>difference.
>
>Theory......best ways to increase speed, all other factors being equal:
>
>1. Ball bearings - light coat graphite dust
>2. Small, narrow wheels - less drag & less friction
>3. Hard wheel surface - less energy to move

Based on purely theoretical experience:
-Weight is irrelevant to acceleration; but it may influe on friction losses
-Wheels should be as big (diameter) and light as possible to reduce the
ammount of energy locked up in rotational inertia.
-Wheels and body should be as thin as possible (low frontal area) to reduce
drag.

But I'd say the highest losses would come from the wheel/axles bearings;
thats the critical area.

Cheers,

Ron the Frog, freezing on hte icy banks of the Paraguay River

              Genius may have its limitations,
           but stupidity is not thus handicapped.
                                -- Elbert Hubbard
   -- http://personales.conexion.com.py/~rolgiati/ --