Re: [MV] Ferret fluid and Catch 22

From: AlvisStalwart6x6@aol.com
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 06:54:42 PDT

Jim

> I don't think I said we wanted a "compatible fluid". I referred
>to a M.O.D. approved substitute for OM-13. I have the M.O.D. data sheets
>on fluids for British military vehicles which list approved substitutes
>for the military ones. They are rather specific as to what is a proper
civilian
>fluid to use in place of OM-13 and the Shell product is one of a very few
>that will meet all the specs. This is why we went to Shell to obtain what
>we wanted.

The MOD doesn't make oil and they aren't the REAL experts in the field, the
people that make it are. I see, you want the good old stuff. Right down to
the old vintage wrapper. Do you also want to import some of that vintage
Petrol to put in it too?

> The viscosity is but one part of the total makeup of the fluid. Be
>assured, some fluids that have the same viscosity WILL damage the
>seals . . .

Did you even bother to get through past the first comma in the first sentence
where I stated: "As long as the lubricant is the proper viscosity, has an
additive package that is compatible with the intended use and MATERIALS, I
don't see the particular problem. Just because it doesn't have "steric acid"
doesn't mean it doesn't have an adequate anti foaming package or isn't
compatible with the seals."

I said ADDITIVE PACKAGE AND COMPATIBLE WITH THE INTENDED USE AND MATERIALS.
You go off on a rant about viscosity ONLY. In this case viscosity is
secondary to the additives! Richard is right, ISO 15, 32, 46 it doesn't
matter that much, as long as it is MINERAL OIL and has the additives to make
it a suitable hydraulic oil that won't harm the seals.

Jeeze Jim, next I suppose you want some of that original 1950s vintage oil .
. .

Richard is correct, mineral oil is exactly that. The only difference, aside
from viscosity, is the additive packages. Now if you want to have some fun
with your seals while you are purchasing "Aeroshell Fluid No. 1" is to pick
up some Skydrol, a nice little phosphate ester based fluid that is great for
eating incompatible seals and burning your skin, don't shake hands with you
best friend before washing . . . FIRST!

Well, you go buy your fork oil, or even the Aviation product, but especially
with the confirmation from the Shell UK tech, I'll just keep using Shell
Tellus T 15.

Bruce