Re: [MV] Ferret fluid and Catch 22

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 16:15:00 PDT

From: "Andrew Jeffery" <andrewjeffery@zetnet.co.uk>
To: "Military Vehicles List" <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2000 10:14 PM
Subject: Re: [MV] Ferret fluid and Catch 22

> Regarding Oils for Ferret/Saladin/Sarracen. The following is what I've
used
> since I got my Ferret on the 25 March 1994. Sarracen 12 November 1994
> and Saladin 17 January 1996.
>
> For hydrolics in Saladin/Sarracen - Renolin CL15

Fuch's (Silkolene) version of ISO 15, no problems there.

> Transfer box, bevel boxes, hub reduction boxes - BOA 85W-90
> Hypoid Gear Oil.

No problems there, straight GL5 - EP90 will do as well.

> Engine, Gearbox, aie filters - Ashford 15W/40 engine oil

Much prefer Silkolene MIL 2104C or D, Hardwicke or Brunswick, can't remember
which. Straight detergent SAE 30 and kind to the rings as recommended by
RR.

> Flywheel - todate, not had to fill/top one up so will cross that
> bridge when I get to it.

Renolin CL 15 will do it fine.

> Ferret brakes - DOT 4 brake fluid.

You have a later converted one, some take OM 13/ISO 15 and DOT 4 is
disastrous.

> With the exciption of the DOT 4, all the above is supplyed by
> Fuch Lubricants (formaly Silkoline), Belper, Derby. (thats cos I live
> not far away) As fuch is American I assume that you should be able to
> get the same oils in the USA without problems.

Lucky chap, I have to order it from a local commercial supplier, Silkolene
is still the brand name though.

Fuch's do have a huge web presence if anyone likes to look at it.
Try http://www.fuchs-oil.com/uk/navi_index6.html

> The only problem I've had todate was contaminated bevel box oil in
> the Sarracen trasfere box (See "Doug's Heavy Metal Gallery" for more
info).
> Otherwise alls been fine, or maybe I'm just lucky!

Not really, you have the correct stuff where it really matters. The engines
are more suited to detergent 30 though than a multigrade, and its cheaper;
seriously consider SAE 30 in the gearboxes though as the multigrades don't
have the mechanical strength according to the tech labs.

Jim sent us his acquired specs for OM 13 this is what Fuchs/Silkolene say
about the Renolin range and their spec for CL 15 and the common CL 32 (ISO
32)

Renolin CL Hydraulic oils.
Available from ISO 5 to 460.
Formulated with base oils selected for oxidation resistance, high viscosity
index and tendency to separate readily from water. (condensation)

Features and benefits.
Anti wear lube of pumps and all parts at high pressures, temps and speeds.
Long life expectancy.
Meets DIN 51524, part 2, Denison HF-0, Vickers I-286-S, & Vickers M-2950-S.
Multi-functional anti-wear additive for pump protection demonstrated by the
IP281 Vane Pump Test and Vickers ETN8 pump test.
Chemical anti-oxidant boosts resistance to high temp degradation.
Corrosion protection by inhibitor to promote protective film over internal
metal surfaces, superior to IP154 test.
Hydraulic response - selected additives eliminate loss of power and
overheating associated with foaming and entrained air, demonstrates
excellent air release and low foaming as defined by IP313 & IP146.

   SG @ Kinematic velocity mm²/sec.VI. flash pt. pour pt
       15.6ºC 40ºC 100ºC ºC ºC

CL15 - 0.865 15 3.24 90 150 -42
CL32 - 0.873 32 5.4 90min 205 -24