Towing Question

From: Castagno, Tony (tcastagno@foodbuy.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 16:22:23 PDT

Hello List,

Just curious about towing capacities. I currently use my M35A2 to tow my
Ferret on a 12 ton trailer. I'm starting to feel like this may be a bit of
overkill. The Ferret weighs a little less than 4 tons and the trailer is
probably another ton or so. My question is could my M998 pull and more
importantly stop this rig? The trailer is set up for electric brakes but I
am not currently using them since I never got to do the 12 - 24 volt
conversion on them. I replaced all the trailer stop lights with M series
tail lights and wired an inter-vehicular cable into the trailers wiring
harness. Most people think the trailer is military, but it is just a redone
construction trailer. The M35A2 works fine but I've got to believe the
Humvee would probably be a bit more efficient, fuel, speed and wear wise.
What do you guys think? Also I'm interested in what the max towing/tounge
weights are for the pintle on the M998 and the M35A2.

Thanks,
Tony