Re: [MV] Fw: Test Message / Saracen Questions ?

From: AlvisStalwart6x6@aol.com
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 08:09:02 PDT

Hi Robert and possible others

Please pardon the intrusion but I had a few comments you may want to consider.

>Wanted to remove all three right
>side wheels and hubs to reduce width to less than 7'-6" so that the beast
>will fit into a standard Conex sea container.

Don't forget you'll also have to remove the fenders (wings) along the same
side because removing the hubs alone will not get you the size you need. I
used my calipers, calculator and diagrams In National Service to interpolate
the size of the vehicle at various points.

>Will have to put a dolly
>under the "truck" to roll in/roll out of the "box" but this will reduce
>shipping cost to US$1600 (1/2 of cost of 40' container shared with
>anothercollector) rather than the US$4000 for deck cargo shipping.

It will need to be one hell of a dolly since a Saracen is a rather heavy
chunk of steel and anything without fairly large rollers or wheels will not
want to easily roll on a wood container floor.

I applaud your efforts but who ships on deck anymore? The most common way of
moving vehicles is on RO-RO ships (Roll On - Roll Off) and they carry their
vehicles below deck. Once you pack the fenders (wings), storage boxes, wheel
stations (hubs alone aren't quite enough), wheels and tires and put the
vehicle itself in, you will be using considerably more than 1/2 of a 40'
container.

>Also lets
>me ship drums of lubricants, spares, tires and other "goodies" acquired
>at Beltring show and will offer better security and weather protection.

Unless you like loading drums, tires and spares into the inside of your
Saracen, you will be taking up most of a container . . .

Have you seen a Saracen in person? I wouldn't call them exactly small and
the inside of a 40' containers seems cavernous, but unless you like piling
all your bits in/on your vehicle, they fill up rather quickly.

As Richard can attest, from his similar Stalwart, wheel stations can be
difficult to remove and replace and you have the added work of removing the
fenders. With what room you have left in the container I suspect your
shipping buddy will have to drop out, unless he (she?) has a Ferret or
similar sized vehicle. Something relatively light will also be OK but
another Saracen will most likely exceed the weight limit of the container,
even if you do make room.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but you may need to be prepared for all
possibilities. Murphy shows his head at the worst of times.

BTW I was accused of being essentially "stupid" by shipping Stalwarts via
RO-RO vessel as they are considerably more expensive than standard
containerized cargo ships. The problem is that a Stalwart won't fit into a
standard container . . .

Best of luck,

Bruce