Re: [MV] HMMWV Starting Problems

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 05:26:39 PDT

Hi suggestion for a little ether to start it up is a good idea with two
exceptions.

DON'T SPRAY ETHER INTO THE AIR CLEANER INTAKE FOR MORE THAN a "shot" aka a
very very short pssst is all you need. Remember that ether is very flammable
and explosive if used to excess. I can't remember how many engines I've seen
that were junk because some thought they needed to empty half the can into
the intake before trying to start it. It will can and does break pistons,
crankshafts and engine blocks if used incorrectly. Ideal way to start it
with ether is as follows. Have someone cranking the engine with the throttle
depressed about a half inch, this will add sufficient fuel through the
injectors to keep it running after it starts with a "puff" of ether, now it
will take about 3 to 4 seconds for the ether to get from the intake to the
engine so don't get excited and spray it again until it either starts or
starts and immediately dies due to the combustion chambers being too cold,
after all a diesel is nothing more than a heat engine and makes it's heat by
compressing air to between 700-900 degrees F. The glow plugs are required
because a cold engine absorbs the heat as fast as the compressed air can
generate it when the engine is turning over by the starter. DO NOT SPRAY
DIRECTLY INTO THE ENGINE INTAKE ONLY THE AIR CLEANER INTAKE WITH THE AIR
FILTER INSTALLED. THE AIR FILTER ACTS AS A ATOMIZATION DEVICE TO PREVENT
LIQUID ETHER FROM ENTERING ENGINE!!! This means that only ether vapor (which
is what you want) enters engine. When engine starts and make sure the person
at the wheel keeps the throttle open a half inch (at the pedal to keep
engine running until all 8 cylinders are firing. It will more than likely
run rough because all 8 cylinders will not fire right away. It will smooth
out in no more than a minute as it warms up each combustion chamber that is
not firing. DO NOT ADD MORE ETHER WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING TO "SMOOTH IT
OUT". That is a sure fire method of requiring you to replace/repair your
engine. Remember it always better to use too little than too much. (Cheaper
too!!)

    My apologies to the list if I'm a little long winded. I hate to read
about someone making a little problem worse by unintentionally following a
list suggestion without safety precautions.

James Shanks
The Line Below is my Ham Radio Callsign
n1vbn@bit-net.com
The line below is my Ham Radio Packet Address
N1VBN @ WB1DSW.NH.USA.NOAM