Re: [MV] My 230 VAC question - The answer is:

From: Joe Foley (redmenaced@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 06:51:13 PDT

That's what I suspected, Bryan,

The only reason that cord has a neutral is because the
coil that operates the contactor is 120 volts. If you
could find a 220 volt coil you could rewire the
control box and drop the neutral. As it sets the
whole compressor is a 120/220 volt unit, that means it
needs BOTH. Even if the motor is running on either.

You'll find that on welders, too, where the main power
is 220 but the blower or wire feed motor is 120. Also
on dryers or kitchen ranges where there's a clock or
lights that are 120 volt. The neutral HAS to be in
there.

Joe