Re: [MV] Need help with 230 volt AC wiring

From: INDUSTELE@aol.com
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 19:06:54 PDT

Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk writes:

<< There is no ground, the neutral is grounded to everything metallic that
goes into the ground everywhere, known as PME, Protective Multiple Earths >>

That's really interesting, as in the US, the National Electrical Code
requires that the "neutral" be grounded ONLY at the power distribution panel.
 This gets back to my original posting about the "grounded" and the
"grounding" conductors. The green, grounding conductors may be connected to
an earth ground at any point, but it must also be connected to the main
incoming power panel's "grounding" conductor, which is usually connected to a
driven rod, near the power meter. The "grounded" conductor, which we call
the neutral, can only be grounded in the main panel of the home or business.
As a master electrician in 7 states, and an electrical engineer, I have often
asked WHY this is so, but I only get a mumbled "mumbo-jumbo" about derived
loads, etc. (fill in the blank with any appropriate electrical sounding
phrase). I have often traveled in Europe, but have never had a reason to
open a box and "play" with the hot wires. Do you have a neutral at all,
since it is a star system, I should think not. I have only seen one "star"
hookup in 29 years of heavy industrial construction experience, and it was on
a Krupp coal stacker. (PS. this stacker had a cute pseudo German-English
sign that said it was easy "schnappen und kapputen" and not for "der
gerfingerpoken or mittengrabben" and to keep your hand in your pocket and
watch "der blinken lights".) As intrigued as I was by it, I was afraid if I
"gerfingerpokened" it, I'd let the smoke out of the wires and it would break.

Thanks for the info, I'll have to ask yet another "governing authority"
(electrial inspector) to explain why the neutral can't be grounded but in the
one place. Always good for a laugh or two.

Tom Campbell - Birmingham, Alabama USA