Introducing Kids and Moms to MV's(Fun)

From: Brian Leffler (leffield@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 05:29:46 PDT

Folks,

We talk here about shows and events and public
exposure to HMV's, well I found a situation the other
day that did the introducing curteousy of Co B, 1-172
Armored, VTANG.

One of my daughters attends a preschool a couple of
days a week that is held in one of the classrooms at
our local armory. The Guard makes this space available
for free. The end of the year came and a pot luck
"graduation" ceremony was held. Some of the class'
activities are held in the drill bay which was the
case for the pot luck. And much to my delight, at the
other end of the drill bay from where the kid's stuff
was set up was an M1 Abrams hooked up to the ground
testing and simuator set. None of the kids or the
moms even seemed to notice the tank much anymore until
we realized that the table where the food was being
positioned was right up next to the side skirts of the
tank. The best part was that someone had taken 2
tissue paper streamers and twisted them together and
strung them the length of the tank for decoration,
just above the food.

How many 4 year olds can say that they had a decorated
tank at their preschool graduation?

The other thing that impressed me was that NONE of the
little kids or the adults never bothered the tank and
test set, even though there was no one standing there
warning them away. They all just respected the rules
and enjoyed sharing the same space.

There is more than one way to get wives comfortable
around tanks and other cool green stuff. :)

Brian

=====
Two points of Cowboy Wisdom:
Never squat with your spurs on; and