Re: [MV] Gasoline in WW2

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 01:53:46 PDT

From: "JOHN SEIDTS" <john@astory.com>
To: "Military Vehicles List" <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2000 1:22 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] Gasoline in WW2

>. . . . . . .So they start running straight avgas in the bikes. Three
weeks
> later, all the bikes are laying around, all with burned valves.

The seats _were_ fine doubtless but the rest of the valve had gone.

Apparently the super high lead levels give the seats an easy time until
valve body corrosion itself takes over because of the low-alloy steel used
and causes mis-seating, whereupon as we all know the seat burns PDQ.

The AVGAS jeep tale from the Italian Campaign concerned the vehicles
operated by the Sherwood Foresters, as the actual perpetrator is still alive
and well, being a well known contributor in the classic car world, he'd
better remain nameless in case MoD want a refund on the mis-use of Army
property. . . . . . . . . . .

I don't know if we have any NZ list members who can confirm this but we keep
hearing that this epitome of "greeny" country is actually re-introducing
low-lead fuel having now accurately understood the real truth of the
chemistry and likely figured the potential overall pollution budget is less
for making and running a leaded engine than an unleaded one.

Richard
Southampton - England