Re: [MV] Brake and bearing job on an M35A2

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 03:36:07 PDT

Joe,

>Hmmm,....... Don't like this one. When you take off the nuts look at the
side toward the lock washer,...... do you see the place where the washer bit
into the nut? It should look almost like someone hit it with a sharp
chisel. That's where the washer held the nut from spinning off,....... now
are you going to tell me they don't work?

The nuts have been flattened to the point of having a sharp edge around the
hex. As to lockwashers, you don't see them used on cylinder heads for
example. I have personally watched nuts come spinning right off while doing
vibration testing that HAD lockwashers under them. Even though the mil-specs
always called for them, none of the old experianced mechanical designers
where I used to work personally believed in thier use, so.... go figure.

>Yup, but you should make a file for posts relating to vehicles you own.

Didn't own one at the time and had no plans of ever owning one, times change!

>Not only is this not acceptable but you have five other axles that are in
the same shape. If you change one you'll only have one good brake and it'll
be "different" than the one on the other end of that axle. This could end
up pulling to one side while braking.

Well, the plan was to do both sides of the front now, I guess I didn't
mention that. I'll take a peak at the rears after that.

je