Re: [MV] Bidding Tips?

From: Bryan Rupp (ruppster@alaskalife.net)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 20:35:18 PDT

TACO6513@aol.com wrote:

> The M109A3 Van truck is this truck more in demand than a M35A2 series truck?
> Will the bid go higher or lower due to the truck being a Van truck?

It depends on the area. My experience is there's a higher quantity of M35's in U.S. military
inventory then M109's so you don't see many M109's at DRMO. This makes them harder to get and if
someone really wants one their best bet is to lay down all the money they can afford to bid. Yes,
you risk paying more then the second closest bidder but you know you have a better chance of getting
it. Anyhow, check in the DRMS web site for the results of prior auctions from your area and look for
listings that had M109's in them to get an idea if they are in demand or not. I just won the bid on
a 3kW 28 volt DC generator a couple of weeks ago. This one came off the Chrysler Outboard Division
assembly line from 1972. Being a Moparite I wanted it mostly due to who built it. I could have
gotten it for about $150 but I had a little extra money so I made the bid for $200. I spent more but
I got it. DRMS used to hold live auctions but they figured out they would get more money by doing
via sealed bids so you wouldn't know what someone else was willing to pay.

> I am going to try to go and look at the truck before the bidding ends. Any
> basic points I should look for when I see the truck? If I don't get to go see
> the truck how do I know what I am bidding on and how much to bid? ( or is it
> just a shot in the dark?) .

Yep, to bid on it without looking at it is asking for trouble. When buying something as big as an
M35/M109 any missing parts can add up quick. It's always best to see what is or isn't there first to
see if it's worth it. Look for missing engine or drivetrain parts. Sometimes the missing parts may
be in the cab. Also look for signs of large oil leaks. If a seal blew the truck might have been
driven till something seized up. Then they just disposed of it instead of repairing it. I've gotten
in to several trucks that still had batteries and started right up. But since you can't drive them
you still don't know if they are in good shape just because they run. DRMO is used to dispose of
items beyond economical repair and also excess items that are in great shape but the owning unit no
longer has a need for it and their HQ told them to get rid of it. The generator I got looks almost
brand new and works perfectly but it had a tag on it as excess equipment to be turned in. So whether
you look at it or not you can still be taking a gamble but if you look it over you can reduce the
risks of having to put a lot more money in it after you acquire it.

> I have sumited a request for pictures to DRMO. Does anyone know how long
> this will take? After seeing Mark's M109A3 I fell in love. Nice truck Mark!

I don't know about how long it takes for pictures but I too have become a fan of the M109's. I have
been keeping an eye out for M109's at the DRMO here in Anchorage, Alaska, for almost two years now
and had yet to see an M109 get turned in till last month. When I first noticed it I had to look
twice to make sure it was what I thought it was. But after I got up to it I found out the entire
shop area had been completely gutted of every little thing. Plus a few body panels and engine parts
were gone. So I have given up on getting an M109 and bought a 1953 XM220 shop van. This is the GMC
equivalent to the M109. At least I now have a shop van to use as a camper when hunting and fishing.
:-)

Bryan