CARC.... a legacy of gov

From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 09:54:56 PDT

Mike C. was talking about the highly toxic ingredients in CARC paint, so
nasty it is banned on military bases now? I'm wondering... how do we manage
to do this kind of stuff to ourselves? Doesn't anybody in charge have any
foresight whatsoever?

I've always thought the greatest threat to our troops comes from our own
side. Thinking out loud now, how can we be so dumb on such a regular basis
in this country? Do mil-spec procurers have take a stupid test to get hired?
  Some of the past examples mil-veh over-engineering would make you think so!

Looking back I see our poor troops have been tested with nuclear fallout,
sprayed with agent orange, inoculated with dangerous combinations of drugs,
exposed to toxic paints, chemicals and many worse hazardous things. We've
got a long history of buying stuff that doesn't work, costs too much and/or
is hazardous to use.

If you couple that stupidity to the stupidity of the ops people, it's a
wonder how our people survive to fight! Remember when we've dropped Navy
Seals in the water off Panama (Operation Just Cause) with more gear than
their life vest could support? That was clever. We once sent in a small
clandestine Marine rescue team against unknown odds and unknown firepower
that got blown all the hell. Half their Huey's were wiped out in seconds
when they flew point blank into AAA. On the ground, they were heavily
outnumbered and the surviving Marine rescuers had to be rescued under heavy
fire (Miguez incident). The worst part, it was all for naught, the hostages
had already been freed before the operation even began.

Lets don't even talk about the brilliance of the Iranian rescue attempt. In
Iraq, we lost more troops to blue on blue fire than to the enemy fire and so
it goes, from Beirut to Somalia, toxic chemicals, wrong equipment, bad
intelligence, lack of foresight and poor leadership have taken their toll. I
bet we could collectively write a book from such examples.

Now I am again reminded of the dangers of CARC...that's just great. We
can't even paint a vehicle safely in the military! Arrrrgggg!!!!

Sorry for my rant, it's just a little venting that has built up over many
years of being exposed to this bureaucratic dumbness. In order to comply
(slightly) with Arthur's rules, the lesson here is to be very careful when
using, sanding or otherwise dealing with Carc paint for mil-vehs. It's toxic
and will rot yer brain and cause other serious illness.

Jack (Sunny California)