Re: [MV] Tan/desert paint schemes on HMMWV

From: Eric Kozowski (eric@svjava.com)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 22:40:19 PDT

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 10:24:15PM -0700, Brian M. Hodges wrote:
> Since we seem to be on the subject of paint today, I would like to ask the
> list if anybody knows how the military "creates" tan/desert camo HMMWV's. It
> seems that just about every part for this vehicle is green from the factory.
> Molded plastic mirrors, seat belts, soft tops, canvas seats, doors, ... the
> list goes on. Are these parts also available in tan, or is the green vehicle
> and all its parts just repainted to the tan scheme when deployment dictates?

For Desert Storm, some painting at Camp Pendleton went like this:

1) drive vehicle into makeshift paint shop
2) spray the crap out of everything with tan paint
3) drive out of makeshift paint shop
4) wipe paint off of windows
5) let dry
6) scrape remaining excess paint off glass and plasic windows

i also know this method was applied to Jeep Cherokees and Toyota
LandCruisers in country.

--
Eric Kozowski
Portland, OR