M151 engine removal, FYI

From: Gavin Broad (invest@portsmouth-mann.com)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 17:47:32 PDT

Hi All,

I have seen an engine removal thread recently posted on the Mutt motorpool
and it prompts me to share my experiences with the list.

It may interest Listers to know that M151 engine removal whilst leaving the
tranny in place is easy - contrary to the manuals et al.

Simply clear the front end as described in the manual (air-filter, rad and
grille, etc.) and remove the tunnel cover. Get TWO socket bar extensions
and undo all the bell-housing bolts and pull the lump off the tranny - done
it twice now due to very limited space. I.E. in a single-car car-port here
in Thailand with the monsoon rains hacking down outside. Takes a wiggle to
engage the spline at reassembly but beats the hell out of crawling about,
undoing gearbox mounts, transfer cases and universal joints, as well as
pulling the top off the gearbox, which adds to potential F.O.D.

Not trying to reinvent the wheel, just putting some tyres on it.
Gavin