Re: [MV] DRMO Hell

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 19:06:31 PDT

Were I in your position I would (more or less in order)
Turn switch on and listen at fuel tank for hum of electric pump running:

If no, first jump from battery 24v hot out (slave recpt if so equipped is
handy and right above tank), if it runs then you have a prob in harness, if
not remove screws on junction box on fuel pump and check fuse (only fuse on a
deuce). IF fuse OK, then problem in tank pump. You may be able to fix/clean
it, but I'd buy another.

If yes, open bleeder valve at filters, do you have fuel flow?
 If no, line broken or plugged, if yes, then check the fuel shut of cable
from injection pump to dash. It could be bound. The plunger on the fuel shut
off cover on the injection pump that is attached to this cable must go all
the way back in for truck to start. This is a common problem.
TIP, if you remove left side engine side cover and crack windshield you can
set on left fender and operate shut off handle and watch the goings on under
the hood.

Still not found the problem?
Remove the hex plug in center of pump distribution head (looks like
distributor cap). Turn engine over, plunger exposed by removing this plug
should jump up and down (you may want to stand a wood stick up in the hole so
you can watch and still reach start button, but don't hold onto stick while
cranking). If it doesn't move, you have found problem. I am told that a
sharp peck on the stick could free this.
If it does move, crack one of the injector lines loose and crank motor. Keep
hands and eyes well clear, the diesel fuel is under a lot of pressure and can
penetrate the skin easily. IF you get fuel at injectors, you need advise from
a better mechanic than me! If not, then CAREFULLY remove the plug in the
SIDE of the pump head, this plug is often an unusual shape. Behind this plug
is a spring and an odd shaped check valve. Flush or pull the check valve
out, clean and reassemble.

I am sure other listers have more ideas, but I hope this helps,
David Doyle

PS: Been through all the above on a M292A2 van myself!