Re: [MV] increasing horsepower

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 00:39:51 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <MVTrucker@aol.com>
To: "Military Vehicles List" <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 12:54 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] increasing horsepower

> Mitch,
> I have the same truck, but it is not a 1975. That's what it's dated as,
but in
> reality it's older. I used to have a diesel shop "run the rack" on my over
the
> road truck tractor with a Detroit Diesel in it. Whatever they did made it
run
> better. My Mack runs like a scared cat, your's should too. Have you
changed
> the fuel filters? Added some diesel fuel treatment to clean the system?

I'd agree with Joe, having the injection pump re-calibrated often makes a
huge difference. Although the insides are artworks of the finest precision
engineering they do wear, well, settle in really over many thousands of
miles and with settings of sub-thou orders this can often mean full power
demand actually results in something less than the engine can handle in
fuel.

I've seen many a disappointing and gutless old diesel transformed after a
pump re-calibration.

Richard
Southampton - England