Re: [MV] Russia-Vintage Mil-Veh bargains

From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com
Date: Sat Jun 17 2000 - 10:03:28 PDT

Doc,

That is a great post and I hope everyone was heads up. I've heard about the
plethora of scams and the Mafia there too, mostly from Russian friends living
here, exchange students and a few missionary friends who live there. A good
friend of mine was part of our US security team in Moscow for the new embassy
for a few years and said the same thing about caution. He has since left for
middle east where it's safer.

So I have been assured by many people, for those macho types or those
nonbelievers that test the enemy or provide the opportunity, robbery,
extortion and death is never far away. I have read about some very high
profile cases, millionaire hotel execs, corp. execs and so on who got a
bullet in the back of the head for not playing ball... doesn't matter if it's
in the dark of night or in broad daylight on a busy street. The criminals
don't seem to care because they know the cops are woefully under equipped,
under paid and unprepared. Also corruption in law enforcement is everywhere,
it can't be trusted either. In Washington D.C. about 4 years back, I met
and talked briefly with some Russian protective service agents similar to our
Secret Service. These guys had thread bare suits, worn out shoes and just
looked poor... felt sorry for them and they were considered to be the elite.
 Maybe their training was good, but they sure showed the effects of their new
economy. I only hope they can get a healthy open market going long enough to
bring them out of it with legitimate businesses before it's too late and the
fanatics take charge again.

When the shackles came off the people, there was nothing to restrain that
hate, frustration and poverty in search of the quick fix......extreme caution
advised.

Jack

PS I wanted to buy a Yak 50 or 51 once upon a time from there, but gave up
for all the above reasons.