Re: [MV] MV Off-Road Use is for everyone !

From: Lisa (jeepcj8@home.com)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 19:46:39 PDT

Mike D'Ambrogia wrote:

> <snip>I hope that all of you bitching about the proposed closures are doing
> something to make a positive impact on both the land by cleaning up for
> yourself and others who are not as responsible as the rest of us, and by
> teaching your family responsible wilderness use.

The four wheel club I belong to, The Arizona Virtual Jeep Club, does just that.
During the cooler months, we organize cleanups of the most popular recreation
trails in our state. We noted that the trash was due to "party-ers", not your
average four-wheelers. Most of what we pick up is alcohol related. We post
pictures of our efforts on the web. We ask the forest and parks service to tell
us where the worst areas are so we can concentrate on them. Our efforts have
helped keep these areas open to us. It is a shame that we have to clean up after
others, but if that's what it takes to keep the areas open we will continue to
do it.

> <snip> given the choice between allowing those who trash the wilderness to
> have
> continuted access, or shutting it down to preserve it i would agree to shut
> it down. I won't be happy about not being able to get up into the high
> country easily anymore, but i can walk in if i choose to and have a much
> better chance of enjoying clean wilderness. once it goes we don't get it
> back.

NO WAY!! Please allow time for the message to get out---Don't trash our
winderness! I would rather spend a weekend a month or so cleaning up the
wilderness so I can enjoy it rather than give up and lose another right.
Remember the t.v. commercials with the tearful Indian in the canoe paddling in a
polluted lake from the '70's? You used to always see lots of trash in rivers,
lakes, and along highways, but the Keep America Beautiful campaign was a
success. We need another success for the more remote areas, that's all.
Lisa