Re: [MV] Out of curiosity...

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Sun Jul 02 2000 - 15:16:34 PDT

In a message dated 7/2/00 11:50:25 AM Central Standard Time,
donstewart6500@hotmail.com writes:

<< Out of curiosity, how is the Hercules Multifuel engine different from any
 other diesel engine? >>

According the various TMs and other sources I have read, the LD, LDT, LDS use
a "hypercycle" combustion process.
In a normal diesel virtually all the fuel is atomized by the injection nozzle
as it is sprayed into the combustion chamber. The fuel is then ignited by the
engine compression (something like 15-16 to 1) heating the air.
The multifuel's fuel I understand is injected with something like 95% of it
liquid onto the top of the piston, from which it is swirled into the cylinder
by the shape of the top of the piston, and thus atomized. Then it is ignited
by compression (something like 22:1)
If you will notice on top of the governor housing on a multifuel's injection
pump (except for the LDS-427), there is an extra "appendage." There is the
fuel density compensator. This varies the fuel delivery rate based on the
density of the fuel. On many of the trucks being surplused now this has been
bypassed making the trucks diesel only. These units have the injection pump
tagged and frequently have a notice on how to reconnect the compensator.
I have burned diesel, kerosene and Jet A in various of my trucks, and could
tell no difference. MANY people have told me that burning gasoline
profoundly shortens the engine life, and I believe this is verified by the
latest editions of the operators manual.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle