M38A1 soft top questions

From: mark fisher (fishmeok@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 09:52:35 PDT

Hi
I have a '52 M38A1 which came with an original top (bought from a swap meet)
and after buying bows and hardware (from Midwest Military- thanks John) I
finally put the thing together and ran across a couple of problems:
1) The top fits perfectly but the side curtains and doors do not line up
with either the 1/2 turn fasteners on the top or the original holes in the
front door sill. Is there a difference between the earlier and later jeep
top fastener locations? The side curtains and doors have a brown vinyl trim
which the top does not have so I am assuming they are not a matched set.
2) My jeep has holes for two footman loops on the top of the rear tub sill,
and the side curtains seem to need three loops on the side of the body tub
where my jeep has no holes drilled at all (I've seen them there in pictures
of other 38A1's). Is mine a different top configuration of some sort?
3) Are there any good sources to show me how the top is installed and then
stowed when not in use? It doesn't seem to be in any of the manuals I have.
Thanks all
Mark