HMMWV differential rebuild tools?

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun Jul 16 2000 - 10:33:50 PDT

The rear differential in my 1986 M998 HMMWV sounds like it has bad
bearings. I'd prefer to repair it myself, because I have had a lot of
bad experiences in the past with repair shops. After reading the
rebuild instructions in my manuals, the job doesn't look too tricky.
However, it appears that I'd need some specialized tools to do the job
right, like a case spreader to allow me to insert the shims necessary
to preload the output shaft bearings, and the jig for measuring the
pinion gear depth.

Does anybody know where I might be able to get these tools, and how
much they might cost?

Alternately, can anybody recommend a GOOD shop that could rebuild a
HMMWV Torsen diff in southern California, assuming that I remove the
diff myself and bring it into the shop?

Thanks in advance for any information!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/