Re: [MV] Sprag problem

From: Buzz Szarek (buzz@toast.net)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2000 - 20:02:08 PDT

Be careful who you listen to. This is a common misconception about sprag
systems.

It is more precise to think of them as a one way device. Like a ratchet.
This is why it is critical to have the levers between the trans and the
transfer case correctly adjusted (they select the direction the ratchet will
free wheel). The most the rear wheels will slip before the sprag locks is
just about a quarter turn.

Nobody who has ever looked at a sprag assembly would make the assertions you
have seen here.

I'm basing this on my experience rebuilding the transfer case in a 1954
M211. YMMV.

Trust me, mine worked at all speeds and in all gears (including reverse).

-=-