(no subject)

From: David Vickers (davidv@eldim.com)
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 09:25:40 PDT

Hello to the group,
I am new to this group and am subscribing due to an interest in buying a
M35A2 some time in the future. Or at least I was until all this talk of a
new bill being passed in the US potentially implying the need to
re-demilitarize such a vehicle.
Now obviously I want to buy a M35A2 as part of the essential hardware needed
when plotting to take over the world. Well in amongst all the opinions and
commentary I thought I'd throw this extra on in for good measure.
Take a quick look at section 9 of the US Constitution.
The Constitution of the United States
Section 9 - Limits on Congress
The Migration or Importation of such Persons as any of the States now
existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the
Congress prior to the Year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a tax
or duty may be imposed on such Importation, not exceeding ten dollars for
each Person.
The privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless
when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.
No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.

I am certainly no expert (more of a devils Advocate) but No Bill of
attainder or EX POST FACTO LAW shall be passed! I am sure that the bill
being discussed certainly has retroactive implications (ex post Facto). So
could it not be argued that such a law if passed would be unconstitutional?
Or is that me just trying to stretch things too far ??

 `(a) AUTHORITY TO REQUIRE DEMILITARIZATION- The
      Secretary of Defense may require any person in possession of
significant
      owned by the Department of Defense--

   `(1) to demilitarize the equipment,

   `(2) to have the equipment demilitarized by a third
        party; or

 `(3) to return the equipment to the Government for
      demilitarization.

 `(b) COST AND VALIDATION OF DEMILITARIZATION- When the
      demilitarization of significant military equipment is
      carried out by the person in possession of the
      equipment pursuant to paragraph (1) or (2) of
      subsection (a), the person shall be solely responsible
      for all demilitarization costs, and the United States
      shall have the right to validate that the equipment
      has been demilitarized.

Section 2573: