Shade tree mechanic tips

From: LEEnCALIF@aol.com
Date: Thu Aug 03 2000 - 16:09:54 PDT

A little something to pass along to anyone who drives. This stuff is so
basic we often take these things for granted, so we forget to remind our kids
or spouses. Thendisaster strikes and it could have been so easily prevented.

I just finished inspecting the remnants of what was a perfectly good engine.
The college girl said, "The hot light sometimes came on and my mechanic told
me I could turn the heater on and make it home." She never made it of
course, instead the engine blew in about 5 minutes. She cracked the block
and a series of catastrophic failures came in rapid succession. A total loss
and the worst part, it was so preventable. A hose connection blew. A $12
part, plus labor. Estimated loss $2800 and a lot of lost time.

In another example, a few months ago, I told a friend to bring her vehicle in
immediately, she had a high pressure fuel injector hose that was bulging and
seeping near the injector. I explained this needed to be fixed ASAP and I
thought she had been properly warned, but I guess not.

I had the hose sitting in my garage for at least 10 days waiting for her to
find to come in. When I next saw her vehicle, the front end was completely
destroyed by fire. The cost of the part was $3. Estimated fire loss over
$10,000. It was not covered by insurance.

In the old days, you could use the heater to act as a second radiator and
bring down the temperature. This might work, but in many vehicles with idiot
lights, you don't know if the temp is still climbing, all your lights tell
you is that it's hot. Best to shut it down and check the fluids. About the
only time you can safely continue after a warning light is on, is when it's
the alternator light. Usually you can continue for 50 miles or more on just
the battery power before electrical failure. But, if the alternator light
came because you just lost a belt, you may also have lost your cooling fan
too. Some of the German vehicles shut you down right then and there...
alternator has a hot lead to a relay and then to a fuel solenoid or pressure
regulator.

All new drivers should be taught how to inspect hoses and belts for early
signs of failure. And when one hose is failing it's a smart move to just
replace all the hoses. Considering the rather minimal cost of hoses, verses
the grief that can occur if one fails at the wrong time. Same for fan belts
and especially the new serpentine belts, good idea to keep them in top shape.

Modern fuel systems are often running on high pressure. If a rubber HP fuel
line goes, you've got a pretty good chance for a fire. Regular F. I.
inspection is a smart move, especially between the steel fuel lines and the
actual fuel injectors. Many models have a 1-2 inch long rubber hose
connecting the system and this is a key area for failure.

No brainer reminder: Before any new driver takes the wheel they should know
how to check, hoses, belts, oil, water, brake fluid and tire pressure. They
also better know how to read tire wear and all instrument gauges and what to
do in the event of various system failures.

Here is the mil-veh part of this post.........Perhaps the best vehicle for a
kid to learn on are these big old mil-vehs. Because they are big, they are a
little scary, especially for a new driver. Therefore, one is more likely to
pay attention when you tell them things about it's safe operation. My truck
has air brakes, even better for intimidation! When that pop off valve lets
go, powssssssshhh......It really gets their attention and they have to know
what's going on! lol The mil manuals for vehicle operation are a great
source for learning a detailed inspection routine too. Nothing that complex
in today's vehicles, too bad too, makes for a lot of helpless drivers at the
mercy of fate.

Keep em rollin......

Jack Lee