Re: [MV] WWII BSA Airborne Bicycle (folding)

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 00:18:10 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: <RKiser8375@aol.com>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2000 10:30 AM
Subject: [MV] WWII BSA Folding Bicycle

> Does anyone know how much a WWII BSA Folding Bicycle would sell for?

***** Prices on "BSA airborne bicycle" (the official name ref. 1945 RAF
Airborne
Forces manual) range from "Free" (It is true! Our local club president was
GIVEN one to go along with the BSA M20 Motorcyle he was displaying last
year. Bike was rough, rusty and incomplete but was the real thing!), a
friend of mine sold one for $100 Cdn (about $60 US) (not to me, the bum
never told me until a year later!). One was for sale at a bicycle show in
Kent, WA, USA for $800 US about a year ago. I heard that in the UK they are
asking high prices - possibly 1,000 British Pounds (ouch!). Depends on
condition, originality, version, completeness, and how much the other person
wants it. Mine? Well, let us just say I have bought a running WWII 15 Cwt
(3/4 Ton) CMP vehicle for less!

> I found one for sale. I haven't seen it, but it
> supposedly, has original paint job and tires and is ride-able.
***** I have not ridden my original bike as I do not want to wreck the
original tires and brake pads. They are irreplaceable. If you plan to ride
it, I storngly sugget that you purchase tires of same size and use those.
Save the War Grade tires (likely poorer quality than modern tires ) for
display and resale time.

Some things to look for:
* Double or single seat tube - double is earlier style (first 7,447 or more)
out of over 73,300 of these bikes made.
* Original tyres (tires) - usually (always?) marked "WAR GRADE" and various
makers such as Michelin. Don't forget original tubes (e.g Dunlop War Grade -
stamped in ink on tube) with British valves.
* Completeness (seat Model 40 BSA, tool pouch, brakes etc.) (never used
fenders as far as I know in service)
* Paint - original colours seen or reported so far include green, or brown
or even
black. Don't yet know why the various colours exist. A FEW had markings
painted on them, likely referring to unit that held them on issue. My
complete one is so marked, but this was later painted over. Have spotted
these markigns on about three wartime photos. I have not sanded down to
decipher markings yet. Thinking of doing it in a way so markings will be
uncovered, but bike won't need repainting. Tricky!
* Transfers (decals) clear and intact - two or three of them (black Broad
Arrow issue mark /|\; Pat Nos and piled rifles BSA logo. Later one may not
have been used on early twin stem bikes as these tubes were too small.
* Overall condition.

Parts available out of UK: Replica seats, grips, occasionally a few tools, I
once saw
a front fork advertised and replica transfers (decals). Basically, that is
it folks!

Transfers available from :
Classic Transfers
Robert Derrick Ltd.,
PO Box 17
Wotton-under-Esdge
Glouchestershire
GL 12 8YX, England
E-Mail: classictransfer@telinco.co.uk (I think they have a website)
Tel/FAX (in UK) 01454 260596

Replica grips and tansfers reportedly available from J. Wilson, Somerset, UK
UK Tel 01458 251808 (in 1999)
Tony Colgrave also had some available in UK but I do not have address.
Kenneth Champion too.

WWII British paint is NOT available in North America yet as far as I know. I
have mix formulae for a bunch of the colours, but the company has gone out
of business, and even when they were in business, the results varied
drastically!

My second bike is a naked frame. I plan to restore it as a rider, but will
have to use civilian bike parts - or buy a parts BSA airborne bicycle(s)!

I am writing a long article(s) on the BSA airborne bicycle for ARMY MOTORS
(it is 30 pages already in draft form! - without the photos yet! Am
gathering serial numbers, owner's names/location etc. in a database. Have
info on dozens now.

Owners (or just finders) of BSA airborne bicycle are invited to contact me
off list at colin@pacdat.net to share info. Please send me the serial number
and owner's name/city/state or province/country. Any comments on condition,
tire makers, version, colour(s), history, condition, comepleteness etc are
welcome. SERIAL NUMBER usually (always?) starts with a letter "R" and the
number will
be anywhere from R1 to R73,380 or more. Stamped deeply into the frame on
left side, rear, just under the rear axle.

Variations: In addition to the colours, tire makers, silver or gold
transfers, and the double or single seat tube, variations include BSA on (or
not is more common style)
large wingnuts, BSA and piled rifles BSA logo stamped deep into lamp bracket
(usually), seat model (some have BSA on metal plaque on rear of seat), rims
(some appear to be chrome which is overpainted, others are unchromed),
support brackets for pedal crank (at least three variations have been
noted).

Accessiories: Lamp (NOT the 'common' British lamp for carrying on belt),
pump, tools & pouch, canvas pouch that straps between the knees to frame,
type repair kit. and pouch, Everest Carrier and Bergen Rucksack. Possibly
some for rifle clips of SOME bikes (judging by some photos). Loads included
mortar bombs, long legnths of rope etc. Some pedals had wood blocks fitted.
I think at least one was fitted with a bell.

> Thanks,
>
> Rob Kiser
> '52 M37
> '65 M101-A1
> '45 M29C
> '45 M29C

Colin Macgregor Stevens
Museum Curator
& researcher of BSA airborne bicycles, Canadian jeeps, CMP vehicles etc.

MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor MAPLE LEAF UP (Est. 1977) newsletter
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB
1942 BSA airborne bicycles SN R12463 & R32405