Re: [MV] M35. Painting. Best place to buy paint?

From: chance wolf (timberwolf@lynx.bc.ca)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 11:08:20 PDT

At 11:05 AM 8/7/00 -0400, Les Newman wrote:
>Hello. Want to repaint my M35. Has the three color camo. Do I use a special
>military paint? I just want to wire brush and cover up some rust spots.
>Doesn't have to be perfect. Want to do it with as little outlay of cash as
>possible. Any suggestions appreciated.

If the paint job itself isn't too shabby, you can always use the stuff
available
from several retailers in spray-cans. The paint scheme is CARC, and though
you don't want to be using the actual CARC paint (which I understand
is actaully more of a chemical-resistive coating than a 'paint' in the
traditional
sense of the word, and quite toxic as a result), a fairly good colour match
is available through outfits like RAPCO and a few others.

The problem that we've had doing touch-ups on the movie fleet of CARC
painted deuces, HUMV's and CUCV's here is that after these vehicles
have been sitting about in the sun for a bit, the resultant fading of the
colours (particularly the black, but the green and brown to a lesser extent
also) makes a satisfying spray-can touch up job a bit of a chore.

In general, we tend to leave the 383 Green alone, and touch up the black
and brown
portions where applicable, resulting in a fairly good approximation of a
better in-service paint job. Touching up the green is inevitable in places
where
Dr. Mo has deemed it necessary to cover up unit marking and vehicle ID's - on
green paint, mind - with splotches of whatever colour was handy at the time.
Looks okay after a few months in the sun post-touch-up, but certainly
pretty patchy if you
don't redo the whole section instead of the affected area only.

Obvious to some, but if you're sourcing paint, you're after "383 Green" and
"383 Brown"; which some retailers refer to simply as "CARC". You can
also buy the "383 Black" if you really want, but it's just garden-variety
flat black anyway. Some retailers offer it in "kits" with enough to do
X-number of vehicles, and some offer it "ready to spray". IMO, that
last one just means you're buying an awful lot of Xylene at the price
of paint (it's pre-reduced), but your-mileage-may-vary.

Andy Hill
MVPA #9211
Vancouver, B.C.