Re: [MV] Flashing warning lights

From: Jaime A Ponce de Leon (jaimepdl@elp.rr.com)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 16:31:17 PDT

> While flashing warning lights in my opinion are a great idea, remember to
> check your states motor vehicle laws regarding flashing lights of any color.
> Many states prohibit warning lights on non emergency vehicles whether they
> add to everyones safety or not.

A. All 50 states allow use of a rotating or strobe amber beacon facing all
directions on vehicles to allow for more visability.
B. 46 States require low visability vehicles, wide load's, tow trucks, slow
moving trucks over 2 tons, or with more then 3 axles to have a amber
beaconfacing rearward, and 31 of those states also must have it foward.
C. All states except for New York and New Jersey allow for extra amber
flashing lights facing rearward sequentially. New Mexico, Nevada, Texas,
Montana, Minnisota, California, Oregon, and Arizona allow sequential
flashing amber lights to the rear, but prohibit alternating flashers of any
colour.

> I think this is good idea - I have one on my 151 but would like to relate
> this -- I have a good friend that has a towing service and when I am at his
> place I read his towing magazines, There was an article few weeks back --
> tow truck was on side of road recovering vehicle from ditch -- was not in
> driving lane was well off driving lanes -- it was night and in addition to
> rotation beacon he had other flashers on and a car drove into him -- the
> other party sued and collected based on theory advanced by procession lawyer
> that driver was attracted to flashing lights

It is a known fact that red lights attract drunk drivers. However, amber
usually does not. The fire trucks in El Paso County have switched their
secondary flashers to a blue/amber combo because of several incedents
involving drunk or fatigued drivers hitting our rigs stationary on scenes
with red flashers.

It the case you mentioned was one of two I am thinking of:
The first one, the truck was on a recovery from a ditch, It was not in a
driving lane, but on the shoulder, and it was perpendicular to traffic. The
other driver clipped the end of the truck, and sent it into the operator,
killing him. MOney damages were awarded, but overturned on appeal.
The second case, a tow truck driver had pulled off the road, and had his
running lights on, but had not turned on the rotating beacon, and a car hit
him from behind. MOney damages were awarded in that case, because the car
was following the tow truck, and was attracted by the lights.

--
Jaime Ponce de Leon
Webmaster, MadRabbitt Internet

~~ "In a world without walls and fences, Who needs Windows and Gates?"