Re: [MV] Why not better lighting?

From: Geoff Winnington-Ball (gwball@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 15:20:56 PDT

Hi Barry,

Although I agree that the many subtle variations of legal lighting we saw at
Beltring were OK in principle, I'd kind of hate to do that to my own F15A.
Instead, I've been working on a (front & rear) set of clamp-on headlights/turn
signals/taillights which will include licence plate bracket/rear light. The
front panel will clamp securely to the brush guard, the rear to the tailgate,
extending downwards to drivers' level. They will plug into hidden receptacles
underneath the body. Both will be used whenever transiting public roads, and the
rear panel will also carry the words "CAUTION - RIGHT HAND DRIVE" in florescent
letters.

This will allow me to run the original blackout lighting on the vehicle and "be
seen" at the same time. At shows and demonstrations, I'll be able to remove the
lighting panels and revert back to a historically-correct vehicle. While I
haven't tested this legally, I'm figuring that as long as the aluminum lighting
panels are securely clamped and locked in place, with the auxillary headlights
properly aimed, we should have no problem. Push comes to shove, the original
lighting can be made to function within legal limits with some small
modification (perhaps for certification?).

My experience is that our cops are more concerned with how things work rather
than with inane technicalities. The bottom line is to get a vehicle on the road
which can surpass legal standards yet be easily converted back to original
configuration.

I'll keep you posted...

--
Regards,

Geoff Winnington-Ball MAPLE LEAF UP! ==> Zephyr, Ontario, Canada ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Maple Leaf Up - The Canadian Army Overseas in WW2 http://www.mapleleafup.org ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment http://www.1cacr.org ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~