MORE stuff on lighting

From: Timothy Smith (timothy.smith1@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Aug 13 2000 - 22:47:21 PDT

OK fellas, a small comment on Geoff Winnington-Ball's add on headlamps
(technically "auxiliary lamps" presuming your originals are still in place)
from a law enforcement perspective (I'm qualified to do this, since I'm a
traffic cop & and commercial motor vehicle inspector here in Texas.)
Question 1.....Can you run your auxiliary headlamps at night and leave your
regular headlamps off......Answer.....NO. We've all seen the youngsters
cruising around at night with their auxiliary lamps on and the headlights
off but other running lights on. Do we ticket them?....You betcha.
Question 2.....Is there a maximum number of lights you can have on on the
front?......Answer......In Texas, yes but your state's or province's laws
may vary. Question 3......Are there any special rules for placement of
these auxiliary lights?.......In Texas, y-y-y-y-yup! Your state or province
probably does too. So if you add auxiliary lighting, remember, it is just
that....auxiliary. Run those regular lights at the same time, make sure you
got the right number and they're place right and you'll be in good shape.
TJ Smith
PS.......I got the passenger side of the front crew compartment of my Scout
Car and the battery box and frame below it all sandblasted and in primer
today.......HOORAY!!!!!1 (it took forever)