Re: [MV] Bed Roll

From: Jim Rice (majrice@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 08:32:11 PDT

The items is an M-1935 Officer's Bedroll from WWII-Korean War era. They
were made used more as a cover than as a stand alone item. You could place
two OD wool blankets and a couple of sheets inside of them and make a
comfortable bedroll. The end flaps/pockets are also good for storing a
feather pillow or other small bedding items.

I have two of these. Both are WWII production, though one is khaki (light
OD)made in 1942 and the other is OD#7 (Dark OD) made in 1944. There should
be two long straps for wrapping the roll and tying it down. Seems they are
both about six feet long. They do seem to be overkill though. Even with two
OD blankets, two sheets and a small pillow, I've always had lots of strap
left over....even when lashed to the side/top bows of my jeep.

I've used mine on a couple of occasions. They make a nice sleeping bag,
beat the heck out of the M-1944 sleeping bag and liner/cover and are period
correct for events.

In reality, you don't ever see or hear of these being used a great deal.
For obvious reasons, you had to be in a unit that had vehicles to carry it.
It definitely was NOT something the average joe or even Infantry Lieut or
Capt was going to carry. It would have been great for a Armor or Artillery
guy though.

>From everything I have found, they were specifically an officer issue item.
Both of mine came from officers. One was a female nurse LT Helen Reed
(stenciled on the outside) and the other was a LT (retired as LTC) Clarence
Mynes. He is not stencilled, but I got it directly from his widow a few
years back.

Hope this helps.

Jim Rice
San Antonio, TX