Re: [MV] Single Wire Delco Alternators

From: Tom Chism (tchism@terraworld.net)
Date: Mon Aug 21 2000 - 20:33:22 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carol Kenyon" <Da-Kenyons@webtv.net>
To: "Military Vehicles List" <mil-veh@skylee.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 20, 2000 7:07 PM
Subject: [MV] Single Wire Delco Alternators
> A BUILT-RESISTANCE IN THE FEED WIRE
> FROM THE IGNITION SWITCH IN THE FORM OF THE IDIOT LIGHT!!! Use your ohm
> meter
> to see approx, resistance and go get your own
> resistor(s) to replace the light.

The resistor wire used on GM trucks with a voltmeter and no light is 8 Ohms.

This wire (or resistor) should be wired through a diode or a seperate
terminal on the ignition switch to isolate it from the actual ignition
circuit when the ignition switch is turned off. Otherwise the feedback
(power) from this wire will let the engine keep running when the switch is
turned off.

Another alternative is to wire this circuit to a momentary "on" push button,
and after the engine is running, push the button and release. This will
excite the alternator in lue of reving the engine up.

This wire or circuit I am talking about is the smallest gauge wire of the
two wires on the quick connector that plugs into these alternators.