RE: [MV] Regarding Mr. Holland

From: OConnor, Dennis (DOconnor@SIKORSKY.COM)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 08:45:23 PDT

> From: William R. Benson
> Remember, Lee has publicly stated that he will not use the MV >List as a
conduit for "official" MVPA business, and whether we >agree with him or not,
let's respect the fact that
> he won't switch horses in midstream.

Bill,
        I agree with you on the points you made but will have to disagree
with this last one...sort of. I will respect him for keeping to what he
says, as stated by you, and expect no MVPA official information from him via
the list.
        This matter, however, is NOT just an MVPA matter and MVPA obviously
do not speak for a great many HMV enthusiasts (merits of joing MVPA or not
have been discussed before on list - see the archives please). Lee has been
named as the public information source by the Senator's office, correctly or
incorrectly, and he must provide the information or correct the Senator's
office and inform everyone of that change to keep his phone from melting.
        We do not, and should not, accept non-answers from public officials
and in his role as designated by the Senator's office he is no longer only
acting as an MVPA official. He is welcome to keep MVPA "official"
information to himself but must provide the PUBLIC information requested.
"I'm handling it", "No comment", and "It's being researched and discussed at
appropriate levels" are not sufficient answers. Perhaps that is the MVPA
line but he must now switch to a different role and provide actual
information to the public. The MV List would be an excellent resource for
him to do this, one of several that should be used, and will keep him from
having a phone glued to his ear for several days as each of us calls him
personally.
        Knowing Lee is unavailable until the weekend I will refrain from
more until we have heard from him. If Lee would like to speak directly to me
then he is welcome to let me know via email and I will provide a phone
number for the time he would like to talk.

Best Regards to All,
Dennis O'Connor