Re: [MV] Overwidth Problem

From: Andreas Mehlhorn (a.mehlhorn@t-online.de)
Date: Fri Aug 25 2000 - 08:49:51 PDT

Randy Orpe schrieb:
> > 10 tonners are definitely overwidth. But the military doesn't
> > need permits, so what do they care?
>
> Actually, the military does need permits and clearances to run
> overwidth and over weigh vehicles over the road

Yes, they need it and they get it! If it is for the National Security
you'll get any exceptional permit.

Some weeks ago, when I drove to our pub, I had to wait at a traffic
light for a convoy of LEOPARD 2 tanks. They were really overwide
(3540 mm or 139.3" wide) normal limit in Europe 2550 mm (100.4"),
too heavy (around 60 tonnes) and too noisy (100 dB(A), standard limit
is 80 dB(A))

And be sure: The army is permitted to drive with these nice vehicles
on public roads.

I followed them with my Kettenkrad for a mile, then they turned
right to the training ground and I turned left to the pub. Nice
engine sound, 1500 hp Diesel rules!

Best regards from Germany
Andreas