Re: [MV] Mystery Jeep Trailers

From: Maurizio Beretta (pierino@tin.it)
Date: Sun Aug 27 2000 - 15:10:44 PDT

In 21.09 27/08/00 +0000, hai scritto:

> Another can of worms for purist argument. Here we go with the
> Willys/Hotchkiss debate on two wheels this time.

Sorry for that, but I'd like this argument more for the chance to learn
something..and also because I can't always read about HR4205 ;-))

> Sorry Maurizio, the German manufactured Bantam copy is one of the *least*
> like the original. Look at the cranked towbar and the strengthening flutes
> that go the length of the trailer instead of up and down. The two new ones
> we have in the yard have been made with chequer plate floors.

I've some pictures of germany copies with standard MBT type "flutes" and
lunette type towbar: are you referring to this ? perhaps, there are many
types...the one I'n talking is REALLY similar to MBT.

> The French Army are currently throwing out hundreds of their 1/4 ton trailers
> - so much so that we frequently get one two or three trailers thrown in with
> every vehicle we buy.

you lucky!

> Jeep trailers were undoubtedly not only manufactured in several European
> countries during the fifties, sixties and seventies but also went through
> continuous post war rebuild programs just like Jeep in which bits were
> scrambled up as with Willys, Ford and Hotchkiss. (Just imported a Hotch
> straight from the French Army with a beautiful set of 'f' marked half shaft
> bolts).

I've completely dismanted my trailer, down to the frame, and all pieces are
like the TM says.

> Cheer. Mike S. UK

the trailer I've found is almost for sure a rebuilt, but I'd like to know
more..

maurizio

 | | Maurizio BERETTA mailto:pierino@tin.it
/_/()||||()\_\ http://members.xoom.com/pierino
|_\ o||||o /_| Chiasso, 11
|----JeeP----| I - Milan 20155 ICQ # 8438805
|_| |_| ph. + 39 023270228 fax + 39 023270228